Three teams to contend league title

MAFA First Division leaders Swieqi Braves were held to a 1-1 draw by Balluta Barracudas in the most important match of the weekend.

On the other hand, Marsa St Michael are now officially one of the three title contenders after beating champions Senglea Gunners who are risking the relegation.

In the second division championship, champions Għaxaq Wolves suffered their first defeat of the season as they were beaten by Gudja Wanderers while Hamrun Amateurs were officially promoted to the second division championship after a 1-1 draw against Kalkara Flames.

Swieqi Braves and Balluta Barracudas ended in a 1-1 draw in the main match of the weekend. It was a very balanced game that reached its climax in the first half when both goals were scored.

Lucas dos Santos surged the Brazilian students ahead after 15 minutes.

Balluta equalized the score in the 31st minute through Jamie Moss.

Now Swieqi have two games left that can determine their championship objectives as they will now face Valletta St Pauls and Marsa St Michael.

Referee: Lorry Sammut.

Marsa St Michael continued with their positive patch as they beat Senglea Gunners 1-0.

The goal that decided the match was scored 14 minutes from the end of the match by former player Noel Tabone.

With these three points, now Marsa are only one point away from the top with two games left.

For their part, Senglea are risking to get relegated after finishing as champions last season.

Referee: Darko Stankovic.

Gudja Wanderers hamded champions Għaxaq Wolves their first defeat of the season when they beat them 2-1 in the second division championship.

Gudja were very disciplined in defence while they started to operate on some counterattacks while Għaxaq had more of the possession although they found little space in front of goal.

Kurt Borg put Gudja on top in the 24th minute although Għaxaq equalized three minutes later through Marlon Farrugia.

Gudja scored the winning goal from Andrew Cachia who found the net in the 44th minute.

Referee: Alex Grech.

Zebbuġ Youngsters took a walkover on Birkirkara St Joseph after the latter did not present themselves. At the same time, the Birkirkara side were thus relegated to third division football after being deducted three points with the Żebbuġ players finding themselves in safer pastures.

Hamrun Amateurs are officially promoted to the second division despite drawing 1-1 against Kalkara Flames in the only game from the MAFA Third Division.

It was Kalkara who took the lead in the 33rd minute through Orcun Saritas with the Red/Blacks opening the second half so well that they equalized through Joyfred Farrugia.

Thus Hamrun Amateurs managed to get this promotion in their second season in MAFA.

Referee: Peter Abela.

Standings– MAFA First Division

Swieqi Braves 22, Marsa St Michael 21, Valletta St Paul’s 19, San Ġwann Pro Evolution Academy, Balluta Barracudas 16, San Ġiljan Saints 15, Senglea Gunners 11, Valletta Stars 7.

Standings – MAFA Second Division

Għaxaq Wolves 31, Attard Edex Kings , Mqabba Albions 18, Ta’ Ġiorni Wanderers 17, Gudja Wanderers 14, Żebbuġ Youngsters 12, Buġibba Club de SWAT 7, Birkirkara St Joseph 4*.

Birkirkara St Joseph were deducted 3 points after walk-over

Standings – MAFA Third Division

Ħamrun Amateurs 21, Ħal Far Titans 16, Kalkara Flames 14, Naxxar Victorians 10, Mosta Vikings 3

Leave a reply