Valletta St Paul's declared MAFA First Division champions

Valletta St Paul’s were declared MAFA First Division champions after beating Valletta Stars St Dominic 4-1 in the Maltese capital derby.

The St Paul’s were trailing against their opponents after six minutes but they knew how to turn the score in their favour so they could celebrate this success.

Valletta’s hero was Brazilian striker Elton da Silva who was notched a hat-trick with Nikolay Filipov adding another one.

Klajdi Qose had put Valletta Stars St Dominic in the lead after just six minutes.

At the end of the match MFA vice-president Adrian Casha presented the cup to Valletta St Paul’s captain Leandro Camilleri in the presence of MAFA secretary David Abdilla.

Referee: Lorry Sammut.

San Ġiljan Saints turned defeat into victory when they beat the already relegated side Senglea Gunners team 4-3. It was an incredible game as apart from producing seven goals, saw St. Julian’s achieving a dramatic victory in the dying minutes of the game.

Radu Vlase put San Gijlian on top so that in the second half Nicolas Morantes scored twice between the 43rd and 48th minute.

Ousman Touray scored the third goal for Senglea and when everything seemed that Senglea would close the season with a victory, the Saints produced a fierce reaction as they scored three goals by Sam Whelan in the 62nd minute, Radu Vlase in the 71st minute and Micheal Hennessy in the 73rd minute.

Referee: Milos Krstic.

Mqabba Albions got promotion to the First Division without playing as in the clash between Attard Edex Kings and Ta’ Giorni Wanderers, it was the latter who got a 2-1 victory. Since the Albions had better direct confrontations than Ta’ Giorni and Attard Edex Kings, they were the ones who got the promotion to the highest division.

Ta’ Giorni were motivated to win this match and went ahead through Daniel Neeraj Bharwani in the 26th minute with the same player scoring another goal 13 minutes later.

Wilfred Kingson reduced the scoring margin for Attard Edex Kings.

Referee: Peter Abela.

Another verdict that came out of this league was the relegation of Bugibba Club de SWAT even though they drew 0-0 against Zebbuġ Youngsters.

It was a game dominated by the defences that gave little chance to the opposing attackers to find their way to the goal.

Thus Zebbuġ Youngsters finished the league in sixth place with 10 points with Bugibba who finished one point below them and therefore relegated.

Referee: Sillah Alhasana.

In the only third division league match, Far Titans and Naxxar Victorians ended in a 1-1 draw.

After a score of 0-0 until the end of the first half, in the second half Ħal Far went ahead through Colin Vella although Naxxar responded by equalizing the score through Keith Zammit Tabona.

Referee: Jean Pierre Mifsud.


Valletta St Paul’s 26, Marsa St Michael 25, Swieqi Braves 24, San Ġwann Pro Evolution Academy 22, San Ġiljan Saints 21, Balluta Barracudas 19, Senglea Gunners 11, Valletta Stars 4.


Għaxaq Wolves 31, Mqabba Albions, Ta’ Ġiorni Wanderers, Attard Edex Kings 20 , Gudja Wanderers 14, Żebbuġ Youngsters 11, Buġibba Club de SWAT 10, Birkirkara St Joseph 1.


Ħamrun Amateurs 25, Ħal Far Titans 20, Kalkara Flames 18, Naxxar Victorians 12, Mosta Vikings 0

Leave a reply