Marsa St Michael stun Valletta St Paul's

Marsa St Michael opened the title race wide open as they achieved an important 2-0 win against Valletta St Paul’s .

It was a very positive game from the Marsa side who managed to take advantage of the opportunities that came their way while they continued to defend boldly even when they were with a man less.Marsa went on ahead after only six minutes when it was Ousman Jallow who beat the opposing goalkeeper.On 15 minutes, Marsa St Michael made it two and this time it was Lamin Jaiteh who found the net.In the second half, Marsa St Michael finished with 10 men after Oussama Boutayeb was sent off.Valletta St Paul’s tried to increase the pressure on their opponents but they could do little to score when their opposing defenders were fully concentrated.

Despite the defeat, Valletta St Paul’s remained in first place although now they have to look at the teams behind them with the title race in the final four games which will be a fierce one. Referee: Gjorgji Bitri.A goal scored by Felix Mack after on 15 minutes was enough for San Ġiljan Saints to return to winning ways as they beat San Ġwann Pro Evolution Academy 1-0.It was a balanced game with both sides not holding back although that solo goal made all the difference. In the second half, the French side started to press for the winning goal, but the Saints’ defenders  were in a great mood to absorb every possible attack.Referee: Reno Galea.In the MAFA second division, Ta’ Ġiorni Wanderers bounced back in the second position of the table as they thumped Birkirkara St Joseph 4-0.The Wanderers were dominant throughout the game and surged ahead after only three minutes through Alexis Manthos.Emanuele Ferlaino scored their second goal on 26 minutes with Samuel Barthet and Jacob Cassar Ellis rubberstamping their team’s victory. Referee: Jean Pierre Mifsud. Mqabba Albions are also in the race for the second place when they beat bottom team Bugibba Club de SWAT 2-1.

Despite the victory, the Albions did not find it easy at all against the opponents from Bugibba who took the lead and it was only at the end that they gave the initiative to the opponents to suffer their fifth seasonal defeat.Shibin Maliyekkal put Bugibba Club de SWAT ahead so that in the last ten minutes of the match, the games changed in favour of Albions who scored twice after goals from Mohamed Bouta and Tristian Vella.Referee: Karl Stefan Galea.In the MAFA Third Division, Naxxar Victorians achieved a very important victory when they beat Ħal Far Titans 2-1. The latter were suffering their second consecutive defeat after a few weeks ago they were also beaten by Hamrun Amateurs.Fabrizio Farrugia had put the Victorians ahead two minutes from the start of the second half so that Luke Busuttil equalized the score in the 44th minute.Fabrizio Farrugia crowned a great performance when he scored a personal double in the 58th minute and thus gave a golden victory  for the Victorians.Referee:  Alex Grech.

Standings – MAFA First Division

Valletta St Paul’s 19, Swieqi Braves 18, Marsa St Michael ,San Ġiljan Saints 15, San Ġwann Pro Evolution Academy 13, Balluta Barracudas 12, Senglea Gunners 11, Valletta Stars 7.

Standings – MAFA Second Division

Għaxaq Wolves 28, Ta’ Ġiorni Wanderers 17, Attard Edex Kings 16, Mqabba Albions 15, Żebbuġ Youngsters 9, Gudja Wanderers 8, Birkirkara St Joseph, Buġibba Club de SWAT 7.

Standings – MAFA Third Division

Ħamrun Amateurs 20, Ħal Far Titans 16, Naxxar Victorians 9, Kalkara Flames 8, Mosta Vikings 2

Leave a reply